The marble sculptural group was sculpted between 1502 and 1505 to be placed above the Ghiberti’s door to paradise, of the Baptistery of San Giovanni.
While the figure of Christ and John the Baptist was executed by Sansovino (later completed by Vincenzo Danti), the angel was added later and is the work of Innocenzo Spinazzi.
For conservation reasons, the original work was brought to a more suitable place and replaced by a copy.