A monumental Hellenistic sculpture that tells the dramatic death of the Trojan priest Laocoon attacked by two monstrous sea snakes along with his children. Pope Julius II after the discovery in 1506 was so amazed that he wanted to place it right in the Courtyard of the Statues, the courtyard located within the Belvedere garden, which represents the nucleus of the Vatican museums.
Sculpture became a major attraction.